Monday, November 22, 2010

Too Much Tolkien

I am a good horse trainer.  I understand horses and I think they know it.  I'm a good teacher.  I think it's because I wish everyone could spend time with horses and enjoy it as much as I do.  If everyone could be happy with a horse this world would be a better place.  Sometimes I think about how much work I've put into being a student.  I want to put that much work into being a successful horse trainer.  I know that nursing school wasn't the "easy road" but, that's how it feels for me.  Because the hard road is working to make a living at what I love most, working with horses.  And the easy road is doing what society says is a good idea, a safe bet, or a good safety net.  Although I ride with a helmet I do not want to take the safe road; I'll take the uphill, rocky climb any day.

I think it's time for me to get back on the hard road.  "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood" and I think I took the wrong road.  It is not too late for me to go back and take the one less travelled by for it calls to me for my feet to trodden its leaves black.  I know its my chosen path because my heart pounds and my hands get cold at the thought of taking the hard road, the road I've desired to take my entire life, the road of a woman struggling to swim against the stream.  Yet I will smile and enjoy the water splashing in my face.  For my life is my own.

I can do this for the rest of my life and be proud, happy, and prosperous.




And, if one day I find myself again going down the wrong road, I'll find another.  Life has many roads and I will enjoy them one day at a time.  I am lucky to have a supportive husband throughout all of this.  More than anything else he wants to see me happy, that's why "we" have four horses.  But, he understands that my strong will can accomplish anything.  So far in life I've accomplished every goal I've set my mind on.  And I will not stop here.  When I find myself at the fork in the road again, I'll just ask  him what he thinks, grab his hand and enjoy the journey.  At least we'll be together.

I will no longer feel like butter scraped over too much bread.  I will put my ear to the ground and follow the  Uruk-hai to rescue Merri and Pippen. . . ok, I think I'm getting carried away here.  Too much Tolkien.

1 comment: